Please read our book donation guidelines before bringing your books to us!
We gladly accept donations of gently used books and media in good condition. Donated items are sold in our Friends of Hayward Library book sales. 100% of sale proceeds support services and programs for Hayward children and families.
We welcome donations of:
- Hardcover fiction and non-fiction books that are clean, with dust jackets and in good shape—the newer the better.
- Paperback books with covers intact and no yellowing on the pages, the newer the better
- not more than 1 year old for most titles
- cooking—not more than 3 years old
- news magazines, not more than 6 months old
- National Geographic – before 1946 and 2007 or later
- Videos, DVDs, CDs and cassettes that are working properly and in their original cases
- Computer software/books not more than 10 years old
- Textbooks not more than 10 years old
We do not accept:
- Vinyl records
- Harvard Classics, Great Books
- Water damaged materials or materials underlined or written in
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Textbooks over 10 years old
- Newsletters, newspapers, academic journals
- Homemade copies of CDs, DVDs, VCRs, cassettes, blank video tapes
- Academic programs on cassette or video
- Any item that we decide is not in salable condition
- We reserve the right to refuse, discard, or recycle any donated items.
If you have more than 2 boxes to donate, please contact us online or call the Main Library to schedule an appointment. We are fortunate to receive many offers of book donations and our space is very limited. Donations are accepted at Hayward Main Library, 888 C Street during regular business hours.
If your donations are in boxes or bags, please plan to leave your boxes or bags behind. We DO NOT EMPTY boxes or bags while you wait. Friends of Hayward Library is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization. We are happy to provide a donation receipt for your tax records - just ask us!